Sheryl Underwood Speaks Out After Sharon Osbourne Leaves ‘The Talk’


Comedian and co-host of The Talk Sheryl Underwood broke her silence on the departure of her former colleague, Sharon Osbourne who departed the show after an explosive on-air exchange with Underwood during the March 10 episode. 

The show went on a multi-week hiatus after the exchange in which Obsourne defended her friend, British TV personality Piers Morgan who faced backlash for his dismissal of Meghan Markle’s claims of experiencing racism and mental health struggles during a bombshell sit-down interview with Oprah

Osbourne announced her departure from The Talk last week, and now Underwood is speaking out in a three-part tell-all series on her podcast The World According to Sheryl

“What additional questions came from an executive,” a podcast co-host asked Underwood. 

“None…. none, none,” Sheryl replied. 

Osbourne had previously told Entertainment Tonight that she felt like she had been set up and claimed the show’s producers hadn’t prepped her adequately. Osbourne referred to herself as a “sacrificial lamb.” 

Underwood did dispute claims that she “set up” Osbourne, stating that none of the questions she asked during the March 10 episode came from higher ups at the network. She went on to explain that she wrote down ideas and received input from an executive producer on how to ask questions. 

“So I start to write on my card, and I’m talking to an executive producer –– not that they’re telling me what to say, they’re helping me shape what I want to say, and this is right before the show is starting,” Underwood explained. “So I’m writing on a marker, ‘I’d like to start with this and then I’d like to go to this and go to that… Does that sound OK? Does that sound succinct? It doesn’t sound argumentative does it?” 

“I’m thinking from the producers side, and I’m thinking, ‘How do you guide this conversation?’’ Sheryl added. 

In a statement about its investigation, CBS said it “did not find any evidence that CBS executives orchestrated the discussion or blindsided any of the hosts.” 

“At the same time,” the statement continues, “we acknowledge the network and studio teams, as well as the showrunners, are accountable for what happened during that broadcast as it was clear the co-hosts were not properly prepared by the staff for a complex and sensitive discussion involving race.” 

The network said Osbourne’s reaction to the discussion, nevertheless, didn’t “align with our values for a respectful workplace.”

The former colleagues have gone back and forth whether Osbourne has apologized to Underwood. Osbourne shared text messages she claims she sent to Underwood with People, while Underwood says she hasn’t received anything from her. 

The network hasn’t confirmed a return date for the show yet. 

Photo Credit: Getty Images